This article accompanies the fable
The Mt. Peel Station homestead was built between 1865 and 1867, becoming the first of the Canterbury high country sheep stations. It remains privately owned.
Nearby is the Church of the Holy Innocents (below), which was completed in 1869. It can be visited but it was badly damaged by the earthquake of September 2010 and the subsequent aftershocks.
Lower photo copyright: Church Property Trustees